GECAC's Getting Ahead is an Erie Together program that focuses on the elimination of poverty in Erie County. The mission is to provide low-income individuals and returning citizens with the tools needed to become independent and provide for their self and families. Upon completion of a 10-week program on how to "Get Ahead" when living in poverty, participants are paired with a mentor who offers support and acts as a positive role model, while working to fulfill their goals and get ahead.
As a Mentor you will offer:
- Mentors share their knowledge, experiences, and wisdom.
- Contacts. Mentors provide valuable opportunities by facilitating academic, career, and personal contacts.
- Mentors stimulate curiosity and build confidence by presenting new ideas, opportunities, and challenges.
- Mentors encourage growth and achievement by providing an open and supportive environment.
- Goal Setting. Mentors help Participants discover talents and interests and define and attain their goals.
- Mentors guide Participants in reaching academic, career, and personal goals.
- Role Models. By sharing stories of achievement with Participants, Mentors can become role models.
Be willing to offer support and act as a positive role model, while your participant works to fulfill their goals and get ahead.
What You Will Do
- Attend a one-time, 3.5-hour training based on Bridges Out Of Poverty
- Attend one monthly meeting with Getting Ahead participants and staff to discuss challenges
- Contact your participant by phone or in-person as needed throughout the month
What GECAC Will Do
- Pair you with a Getting Ahead participant
- Provide training