ELECTRICITY ASSISTANCE: Dollar Energy Fund
- This fund is a FirstEnergy program.
- Once a year lump sum grant.
- Must be unable to pay the bill due to an emergency situation (i.e. loss of employment, illness, divorce).
- In order to qualify for a grant, applicants must contact FirstEnergy. They will screen you for eligibility and refer you to GECAC if you qualify.
HEATING ASSISTANCE: Neighbor-for-Neighbor Heat Fund
- This fund is a National Fuel program.
- Maximum of $500 per calendar year or $200 maximum for non-National Fuel customers.
- Assistance is for overdue heat bills, to purchase fuel, or to repair heating equipment.
- Recipients need not be customers of National Fuel but must reside within National Fuel's service territory.
In order to qualify for a grant, applicants must fall into at least one of the following classifications:
- 55 years of age or older
- A resident who is over 150% of the federal poverty guidelines, but does not exceed 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
- On a disabled or handicapped income
- A veteran with a verified need
- Able to demonstrate a certified medical emergency
- Experienced a verifiable, recent loss of income
- Receiving unemployment benefits
How to Apply
If you are having difficulties paying your heat bill call (814) 459-4581 ext. 466 or ext. 410 to inquire if you are eligible for Neighbor-for-Neighbor Heat Fund.
- Make an appointment with GECAC. Walk-ins are welcome. Hours: Monday-Thursday; 9 am – 11 am and 1 pm-3 pm
- Accepts applicants from October 1- February 2 from customers whose service is terminated.
- Accepts applicants for all customers from March 1-September 30 as funds are available.
- Complete the application with GECAC's caseworker. Once the application is complete, GECAC will submit the application to National Fuel or FirstEnergy.
- If you are awarded a grant, the money will be applied directly to your utility account.
- Bring all the necessary information to your appointment at the GECAC. You will need:
- Names and birthdates of everyone in your household
- Proof of income of everyone in your household
- A copy of your most recent utility bill
- Your utility account number
- Proof of all payments made in the last 90 days