Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for the participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families where neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education. Working collaboratively with Edinboro University of PA and several school districts in Erie County, the program offers services at the students’ home schools and on the campus of Edinboro University of PA during the academic year and during a six-week summer session.
Upward Bound Application (252 KB)
To earn full stipend per session participants must:
- Prepare for and attend tutoring/ workshop sessions
- Complete six-week summer residential program at Edinboro University of PA
- Achieve a 2.5 grade point average or better in academic classes in their home schools
- Maintain a minimum of 95% attendance in home school classes
- Submit report card within two week of issuance
- Notify of expected absence for any scheduled Upward Bound workshops or events
- Plan to attend a four-year institution of higher education
- Participate in cultural activities
Follow-up period: September: verification from admissions department of senior’s enrollment in post-secondary institutions until graduation/ completion of baccalaureate programs.