Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income people who cannot prepare their own tax returns.
Tuesday-Thursday 9am-11pm and 12:30-2:30pm from January 30, 2017 - April 14, 2017.
GECAC is a walk-in site. Individuals are served on a first-come, first served basis.
GECAC also offers a VITA drop off service. No need to wait while taxes are prepared.
Items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (if applicable)
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- Statements related to tuition or student loan interest (if applicable)
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
If you lost or do not have all of these items, you still can get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS help line at 1-800-829-1040 to find out what you need to do and how to obtain replacement documents. If filing jointly, both the filer and spouse must be present to sign.